Is medicine considered black magic or sorcery according to the Bible?

Unclean Spirits

Unclean Spirits

en el nombre de jesus

en el nombre de jesus

As The End Approaches

As The End Approaches!

Imaginations of Satan

Imaginations of Satan

Pt. 2 Horrors Of Calvinism

Pt. 2 Horrors Of Calvinism

Pt. 1 Dangers Of Calvinism

Examining Calvinism

When God Becomes Ordinary

When God Becomes Ordinary

Last Days On Earth: R U Ready?

Last Days On Earth: R U Ready?

Marriage In Turmoil: Abusive Relationships, Leading As Men

Marriage In Turmoil: Abusive Relationships, Leading As Men

Game Over: Time To Wake Up!

Game Over: Time To Wake Up!

Author Topic: Is medicine considered black magic or sorcery according to the Bible?  (Read 1153 times)

Sonny

• Graphics & Design Team
  • Red Head
Is medicine considered black magic or sorcery according to the Bible? I do pray for healing and help with coping with illness, but I also take anti-biotics when needed, headache medicine, like Advil, when I have bad headaches, Sudafed, when my sinuses are messed up, etc. Am I doing something un-biblical?

Thanks you all in advance.

God bless,
Sonny

Maloy

• Global Moderator
I've wondered about that. Sorcery as you know is translated from the same word that the greek work for alchemy/medicine(we discussed that in another thread)

Most medicines are really just balancing out your body, or just dulling pain. I believe what it was referring too were Hallucinogenics, depressants, etc(because back in Greece most medicines didn't actually do anything but were either placebo or drugs) which have a direct effect on ones mind and perspective. Otherwise all food and drinks we use are evil as well.

Fun Fact: Most psychological issues people are having can be treated through proper nutritional therapy

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:12:20 PM by Maloy »
1 John 1:8 "If we say, 'We have no sin', we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us"

Sonny

• Graphics & Design Team
  • Red Head
I don't know if you can say for sure, but do you think you would classify a medicine for neurological disorders in the mind altering drugs list? The reason I ask is because I take a medicine meant for ADD treatment but I take primarily to treat my Tourettes Syndrome. The medicine does not get rid of them completely, but does help my brain or body, or whatever, relax enough where I don't have as many ticks. I don't feel like I think any different though, or am doped up, or sluggish, or anything like that. It just relaxes my head I guess, or whatever is overproducing in my brain causing me the need to tick. The medicine is usually used to treat ADD, but is also sometimes used to treat anxiety and Tourettes Syndrome.

John sees the truth

Oddly the word Hygiene originated from the Greek Goddess Hygieia.... This world was truly Pagan and it's just getting worse cause it's coming back.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:10:39 PM by John sees the truth »

Sonny

• Graphics & Design Team
  • Red Head
I don't know if you can say for sure, but do you think you would classify a medicine for neurological disorders in the mind altering drugs list? The reason I ask is because I take a medicine meant for ADD treatment but I take primarily to treat my Tourettes Syndrome. The medicine does not get rid of them completely, but does help my brain or body, or whatever, relax enough where I don't have as many ticks. I don't feel like I think any different though, or am doped up, or sluggish, or anything like that. It just relaxes my head I guess, or whatever is overproducing in my brain causing me the need to tick. The medicine is usually used to treat ADD, but is also sometimes used to treat anxiety and Tourettes Syndrome.
Does anyone have an opinion on this? I appreciate your guy's opinions and understanding of scripture.

And when I use the word "guy's," I just mean everyone, not particularity men. HaHa

exit_broadway

Crazy, Fight Fan...I was just thinking about this before my nap (yes I was napping and it was awesome.) 

Here are few articles about this.

http://truedsicernment.com/2007/07/09/on-the-greek-word-pharmakia/

http://www.wnd.com/2007/07/42434/

Here is the other thing about Pharmaceuticals, other than the root word meaning, which is enough for me...is that drug companies cannot patent totally natural occurring compounds, so they often observe whatever effects these natural compounds produce and then synthesize them and surely add their own dash of let's say "razzle dazzle" to the drug.  This is the same reason for the genetically modified plants...they cannot make monopolized money on them naturally so they alter them and get the protection of the federal gov. in a patent.  The scariest part for me has got to be the "razzle dazzle" meaning...we have no idea of what is in the medication and if it is ok for our bodies.

It is fairly obvious now that we cannot count on big corporations and government to have a sense of what is right.   Too many times the FDA has been caught approving things that they knew were harmful.   So in my eyes it is about choosing and trusting in the kingdom of God vs. the kingdom of the world. 

With that said I admit that when an illness or aliment hits me I still look to worldly solutions because of habit instead of renewing my mind and asking God what should be done.  Fact is God is good and has made natural cures for many aliments and these work in righteousness because it is Him...knowledge of these natural cures is what we should seek after...That and eating right to begin with to help our bodies fight naturally.

Nevertheless, God is Jehovah Rapha, the Lord our healer and soon we will shed this terrestrial body and be clothed in righteousness with our heavenly body.  Peace and health be with you all in the mighty name of Jesus!     

Sonny

• Graphics & Design Team
  • Red Head
Thank you Maloy, Rammel, and exit_broadway. I appreciate you guys, and thank you for your prayers. You all mean a lot to me.

God bless,
Sonny

DavidTheGentile

well i can tell you this, medicine was used in the old testament which most pills use. So im not really sure but heres some verses and definitions if you like:

Eze 47:12  And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

H8644
תּרוּפה
terûphâh
ter-oo-faw'
From H7322 in the sense of its congener H7495; a remedy: - medicine.

H7322
רוּף
rûph
roof
A primitive root; properly to triturate (in a mortar), that is, (figuratively) to agitate (by concussion): - tremble.

H7495
רפה    רפא
râphâ'  râphâh
raw-faw', raw-faw'
A primitive root; properly to mend (by stitching), that is, (figuratively) to cure: - cure, (cause to) heal, physician, repair, X thoroughly, make whole. See H7503.
(Strong's Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries)

Hope this helps brother.

God Bless
DavidC

"Luk 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
"
"Luc 9:23  Y decía á todos: Si alguno quiere venir en pos de mí, niéguese á sí mismo, y tome su cruz cada día, y sígame."

mlemons1970

• Global Moderator
well i can tell you this, medicine was used in the old testament which most pills use. So im not really sure but heres some verses and definitions if you like:

Eze 47:12  And by the river upon the bank thereof, on this side and on that side, shall grow all trees for meat, whose leaf shall not fade, neither shall the fruit thereof be consumed: it shall bring forth new fruit according to his months, because their waters they issued out of the sanctuary: and the fruit thereof shall be for meat, and the leaf thereof for medicine.

H8644
תּרוּפה
terûphâh
ter-oo-faw'

H7322
רוּף
rûph
roof
A primitive root; properly to triturate (in a mortar), that is, (figuratively) to agitate (by concussion): - tremble.

H7495
רפה    רפא
râphâ'  râphâh
raw-faw', raw-faw'
A primitive root; properly to mend (by stitching), that is, (figuratively) to cure: - cure, (cause to) heal, physician, repair, X thoroughly, make whole. See H7503.

Hope this helps brother.

God Bless
DavidC

Hey David, Ezekiel 47 is referring to the tree of life.

Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Revelation 2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Much Love
Michael

Sonny

• Graphics & Design Team
  • Red Head

H8644
תּרוּפה
terûphâh
ter-oo-faw'

H7322
רוּף
rûph
roof

H7495
רפה    רפא
râphâ'  râphâh
raw-faw', raw-faw'

Hope this helps brother.

God Bless
DavidC

Hey David, Ezekiel 47 is referring to the tree of life.

Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
2 In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
3 And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:
4 And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads.
5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Revelation 2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3 And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4 Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
6 But this thou hast, that thou hatest the deeds of the Nicolaitanes, which I also hate.
7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

Revelation 22:13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.

Much Love
Michael
So brother Michael, do you believe it is ok to take medicine to treat my Tourettes? It is a neurological disorder but the medicine does not affect my thinking. I pray for relief of these ticks, they make it very difficult to steadily read a book without losing concentration. I am most relaxed when reading, and I guess that is when they come out the easiest. I know we have adopted many things into the church, in time, that the early Christians would have forbidden.  I would like your opinion brother.

My friend Shawn sent me this when I asked him about it:
Sonny,

You are not demon possessed nor are your ticks caused by demons. We live in a fallen world. Sickness and disease is a very real part of all of our lives, which is why we shall all die one day.

You have an illness, which is clearly a disorder of the brain chemistry, which you are not responsible for nor is it caused by demons.

So, don't let the internet scare you. The Bible is clear anyone who confesses Jesus as Lord has the Spirit of God, and where the Spirit of God is, no demon can live.

So, take comfort in knowing that you are not demon possessed nor can you be. You just have a physical disorder which can be treated by medication. Nothing to worry about.

DavidTheGentile

opps sorry about that, but its good you pointed that out brother michael.

ok lets try this again...

How about wine? Its was used of some sort of medicine for the stomach.

1Ti 5:23  Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

In this verse, wine was used for the stomach and other infirmities(sickness) because i believe of the alcohol which kills bacteria. But if abused can cause you to get drunk which is sin. I think its the same way for you bro sonny.  You said the medicine you take does not make you "high", but if abused it can cause you to sin(I think), but i love how brother rammel said it: 

I don't know, maybe i have not read the whole book. I can't see yet who ever used drugs for curing something.
The medications you take (for now) is good. It alleviates you of symptoms but it will happen again. The final authority is in Christ. Everything is possible with God. Nothing can hinder Jesus healing you. We are praying for you bro. His will be done.

So I hope this helps though brother
God Bless you and May Our Lord Jesus Christ heal you or/and give you the answer
DavidC

"Luk 9:23  And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
"
"Luc 9:23  Y decía á todos: Si alguno quiere venir en pos de mí, niéguese á sí mismo, y tome su cruz cada día, y sígame."

SusanP

• Global Moderator
I just wanted to give my thoughts. On meds and things.

They are good when you need them. There are some that people have to use for the rest of their lives. For example diabetics. My husband is a diabetic, I have had it 3 times and, TY LORD, won over it. I am considered a borderline diabetic for life just because it started when I was pregnant with my youngest.  I also have kidney stones and I was told to take meds for that. I was for a while. Then I started to pray for healing from them. I look to the Lord for healing on anything with my body. Sickness isnt from Him. But healing has to be done with faith and His will. My personal belief is that anyone or anything can be healed. Gods will provided.

I also want to say that when we 'hold' onto something it can prevent us from healing. I myself held on to somethings and when I completely gave them to the Lord things changed. My peace and freedom were beyond all understanding. Am I perfect? Not at all! Im like..chief sinner but a female version. Do I struggle? Sure. But I try not to hold on to things. When I say things I mean this. I allowed the Lord to dig down deep inside of me. I started from when I was young and up to now, 42 yrs old. Was it easy no but its healing. Inside then out.

This is an amazing way to explain it from our dear brother rammel:

I don't know, maybe i have not read the whole book. I can't see yet who ever used drugs for curing something.
The medications you take (for now) is good. It alleviates you of symptoms but it will happen again. The final authority is in Christ. Everything is possible with God. Nothing can hinder Jesus healing you. We are praying for you bro. His will be done.

I live how he said, the Final Authority.

Sonny, your on your way. Gods will be done brother. Dont stress over things that dont mean much. Your searching and God is showing you. You have zeal (eagerness) and God IS helping yo and showing you. ;D

Sonny

• Graphics & Design Team
  • Red Head
THANK YOU EVERYONE!You guys helped a ton, sometimes none of us in here realize just how much our words can help others. I see it as God using you guys to reach others.

I really want this healing from God. I do feel that I hinder myself though. I think to myself, what if it isn't in His will for me to be healed? What if He wants me to use this disorder to help others? You know. I will pray over this though. I do believe God can do ANYTHING. I just got to let Him take control.

Thanks everyone, I will continue on my medicine for right now but I will also continue to pray and look to God, and if/when He speaks to my heart to let it go, I will.

God bless,
Sonny

DAK

Psychiatry: An Industry of Death

DAK

The Marketing of Madness: The Truth About Psychotropic Drugs